Navigating from Good to Great, the regional economic/community development initiative, launched a $4-million capital campaign Friday for its next five years under the theme “Setting a New Direction.”
Nephron Pharmaceuticals CEO Lou Kennedy delivered the kick-off address to business leaders at a luncheon at the DoubleTree hotel. Nephron is investing more than $331milllion to establish a new pharmaceutical manufacturing campus and offices in Lexington County that will create about 700 jobs. Kennedy is a University of South Carolina graduate.
Based on the success of the original five-year program, launched in 2007, the board of directors of the Navigating from Good to Great Foundation, decided to renew the initiative for another five years. The initial campaign raised about $3.2 million.
Successes include (click for video):
- Business Retention and Expansion Program
- Cluster Development
- Columbia Opportunity Resource (COR)
- Famously Hot Branding
- Regionalism | MIDSTATE Chambers Coalition
The purpose of Navigating from good to Great 2012-2017 is to continue to create and implement an economic/community development model through unification and collaboration across the entire region. The primary tools employed by the Foundation are coordination, collaboration and education with the objective of aligning and focusing diverse efforts into a unity of purpose.
The 2012-2017 initiatives include:
- Creation of a regional vision and plan for economic development;
- Continued efforts to ensure the continued longevity of Fort Jackson and its $7 billion economic impact on our community, as well as the health of other regional military installations;
- Continuation of an Existing Business Retention & Expansion program;
- Continued facilitation of regional and intergovernmental cooperation efforts;
- Continued support for business cluster development;
- Improving regional transportation infrastructure;
- Preparing a future generation of business and community leaders;
The Navigating from Good to Great Foundation is a 501 (c)3 non-profit founded in 2007 for the specific purpose of advancing the Midlands. The Good to Great Foundation works in cooperation with and is housed in the same facility as the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce. Foundation funding is entirely separate from Columbia Chamber funding.
About Navigating from Good to Great
Navigating from Good to Great is an economic/community development initiative designed to transition the Midlands from good to Great. The Navigating from Good to Great Foundation is a private, non-profit, focused on creating and facilitating a region that is balanced, globally competitive, workforce advantaged, and not based on a singular market segment. The Foundation seeks to provide residents with a rich cultural infrastructure that is safe and supports a wide range of tastes through the effective involvement of the region’s diverse population and resources.
To learn more about Navigating from Good to Great, its funding, programs and initiatives, visit www.navigatetogreat.com.